Who We Are:
The Manatee Arts Education Council (MAEC) is an all-volunteer council of the Manatee Education Foundation (MEF) which seeks to support, promote and celebrate PreK-12 arts education in the School District of Manatee County and Manatee County public charters.
The vision of MAEC is for every student in Manatee County to have equitable access to a well-rounded education that includes a comprehensive, sequential, high-quality program of arts instruction.
MAEC believes that dance, music, theatre, visual art and media art are essential to a complete education and are central to the development of all children.
Council membership is open to any individual or organization interested in supporting, promoting and celebrating PreK-12 arts education in Manatee County.
- Members are asked to pay yearly membership dues. The membership year runs from July 1 through June 30, and member levels include individual, educator, arts & cultural, and business & corporate.
- Members are asked to attended council meetings and serve on at least one committee.
- All dues-paying members have voting rights and have one vote when they are present at a council meeting.
Sponsorship dollars or in-kind services to support, facilitate and/or fund MAEC initiatives or events are not counted towards membership dues.
Things We Vote On:
- Annual Budget
- Executive Council appointments/removals
- Establishment of new committees
- Items the council chairperson deems appropriate
A minimum of five (5) council members must be present for in-person or virtual conference call voting to occur; a simple majority is needed for any item to pass.
The council chairperson can also call for a vote-by-email of items as-needed. A minimum of ten (10) council members must respond; a simple majority is needed for any item to pass.
When We Meet:
Council meetings are held quarterly in addition to committee meetings and special events. Members of the executive council meet monthly.
The executive council includes the following seats/roles:
- Vice Chairperson
- SDMC Visual and Performing Arts Specialist(s)
- Immediate Past Chairperson
Additional executive council seats/roles can be added with the recommendation of the council chairperson and vote of council members.
Executive council members serve two-year terms. General council members can choose to re-appoint executive council members to additional terms as desired.
Initiatives and Committees:
Current MAEC initiatives/committees include:
- Arts Alive Celebration & Awards Ceremony
- Arts Rise & Shine Leadership Breakfast
- smARTen Up Summer Camp
Committee chairs serve at least two-year terms. The executive council can choose to re-appoint committee chairs to additional terms as desired.